Friday, September 2, 2011

Preschool through 2nd grade (and beyond) Bible resources

Deuteronomy 11:18-20

18 Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 19 Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 20 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates,

Why do we need to fix God's word into their hearts and minds?  Couldn't we just leave that to their  church group or AWANA?  Children learn by example and so we can't get away with leaving it to someone else.  I have begun putting verses on 3x5 cards and posting them in places where I know I will read them like on the refrigerator :) and by my computer. 

Here is one verse that I have up:
Proverbs 15:1 "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. " 

Does anyone else need to be reminded to be patient?    I noticed recently on a long walk home with my 3 kids that when I responded with frustration because they were starting to whine or complain that it only made matters worse but as soon as I started responding positively they did much better.  (Go figure.)  In fact once I started being positive and continued they did not whine or complain the rest of the way home.  

I definitely need this reminder (daily) and not just with my kids. For whatever reason I am, by nature, a defensive person.  I tend to automatically think that a comment someone makes to me that is less than positive is a cut to me personally.  I often am most defensive with my husband which doesn't make sense because he is so on my side it is just silly to think otherwise.  But I have noticed that lately since I have been "meditating"  more on this verse that I have been less defensive.  Hurray!  That is not me.  That is not my nature.  That is the effect of God's word in my mind.  I have not perfected this and never will but I can see the effect.  

So what do you do for your preschool through 2nd graders (or beyond)?

I am very interested in what a friend of mine is doing.  She uses the Jesus Story Book Bible deluxe version that comes with an audio CD.  I listened to a sample and it sounds perfect for this age. As of this post date there are 61 5-star reviews on Amazon and 3 4-star reviews.  To see what my friend is doing, go here.

Raising Olives compiled a great list of verses for our kids to memorize.  She says that they always begin with Proverbs 1:7-9. " 7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
   but fools despise wisdom and instruction. 8 Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction
   and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. 9 They are a garland to grace your head
   and a chain to adorn your neck." 

Seems like a pretty great place to start to me. ; )
Other verses she recommends are:
Check out her full post here.

Make sure to leave a comment to let us know what you do or use.

No comments:

Post a Comment